By Kathleen Mullane

Well it was a glorious day on Saturday last for the boys and girls of 2nd class in Athea N.S. who received their First Holy Communion, 17 of them in all and what a credit they were to themselves, their parents and of course their teacher who prepared them for their special day. A huge amount of work went into the posters etc that they had decorated the church with and they must be complimented. I’m sure they all had a great day with their families after the ceremony – congrats to all involved.

Well the 3rd draw in our Lourdes fundraiser “Split the Bucket” went to little Pippa Sheeran of Coole West whose mother  Áine accepted the prize on her behalf. No doubt Pippa, when she gets a bit older, will follow in her Mom’s footsteps and play for Athea Ladies Football as Áine did (when she was Áine O’Sullivan) some years ago. Congrats and well done to Pippa.

The death took place over the weekend following a brief illness of Micheál Long, Turaree, Glin (son of Maureen and Seamus) in the care of the staff of Milford Hospice. A huge crowd came to pay their last respects at Kelly’s funeral parlour on Sunday evening last where he reposed. Micheál I’m told was always there for family and beyond to lend a helping hand and will be sadly missed. His remains were taken from his home to Glin Parish Church on Monday for 11am requiem mass and burial followed in Kilfergus cemetery. Sincere sympathy to his parents, brothers and extended family. ‘May the light of heaven be his’.

A special ‘Memorial Mass’ for the late John Danaher (formerly of Upper Athea who died in England) took place here in Athea on Sunday morning last, his ashes having been brought home following cremation in England. Many family, friends and relatives came to offer sympathy to his wife Christina, brothers Mossy and Jimmy, sister Kathleen and a large circle of relatives and friends. Burial was on Monday in Holy Cross. ‘May his gentle soul rest in peace’.

On Sunday last I travelled to Glin to the ‘Fayre’ that was being held there and what a fabulous day it was. A stream of cars from morning until evening was to be seen entering the grounds of Glin Castle. The smell of the ‘Wild Garlic’ as one entered was unreal, coupled with the smell of the burgers, crepes, coffee and so much more. There were stalls upon stalls from Wexford to Dublin and beyond selling every type of an unusual plant and flower. Families sat under trees and had their picnics, it was “a sight to behold”. Isn’t it great to have such attractions so near us. Entrance to the Castle itself was booked out – indeed a great day.