Athea GAA


Saturday September 7:

Intermediate Championship:

Athea 0–15 Claughaun 1–12

Athea Intermediates played Claughaun in the final round of the Championship in Askeaton on a wet Saturday evening last. After a poor start conceding a goal and five points in the first ten minutes our boys came back into the game with Ger Ahern and Kevin O’Keeffe both raising white flags. Claughaun restored their eight point lead but Athea responded well with five unanswered points thanks to Ger Ahern, Kevin O’Keeffe and Pa Ahern. Two more points for the opposition and a super point for Shane Mulvihill left us four points down at the break. Athea came out in the second half a much better team. Ger Ahern scored our first point of the half from a free after Kevin O’Keeffe had been fouled. Ger was on the mark again shortly afterwards with two more points to leave just the minimum between the teams. At this stage, Timmy Enright made a crucial save and Athea levelled the match when Pa Ahern scored a great point. With ten minutes remaining, we went ahead when Mark O’ Connor scored a super point with his left leg. Claughaun soon equalized with a point of their own but we went two ahead and looked like wining when Pa Ahern and Shane Mulvihill both pointed with five minutes remaining. A late burst from the city team earned them a draw when they scored two points before the final whistle. Final score Athea 0-15 Claughaun 1-12. Team:  Timmy Enright, Michael Reidy, Matthew Tierney, Shane Tierney, Raymond Brouder, Paul Collins, Denis Greaney, Tom Collins, Jamie Collins, Shane Mulvihill, Pa Ahern, Mark O’ Connor, Kevin O’Mahony, Gerard Ahern, Kevin O’Keeffe, Dylan Griffin, Brian McKenna, Conor Mullane, Maurice Hayes, Ger Collins, Eoin McCarthy, Patrick Chawke & Darren Murphy.

Sunday September 8:

West Minor A Final:

Feale Rangers 2–07 Ballysteen/St. Senans 1–14

The Athea/Mountcollins minor combination of Feale Rangers made their way to Foynes on Sunday evening last to take onBallysteen/St. Senans in the West minor A final. On a perfect evening for football Feale Rangers were first to score when Stephen Cahill scored a wonderful point. The opposition responded with two points before a super point blank save from Kieran Harnett was gathered by Jonathan Fitzgerald and cleared up the field. Shortly after our defence was caught napping as Ballysteen/St. Senans broke forward and got in for a goal.  A James Ryan free brought us back into the game but Ballysteen/St. Senans continued to pile on the pressure and scored two more points. William Sexton then scored a great point after great work by William Mullane in the half back line. Both sides exchanged points. Feale Rangers score coming from the boot of James Ryan after a great pass from Brian O’Connor on the wing. As half time approached we found ourselves further behind as Ballysteen/St. Senans added three points and had a seven point advantage at the break.  A resurgent Feale Rangers came out all guns blazing in the second half as Gary Vaughan and Stephen Cahill started to control midfield and our backs were much tighter as we curtailed Ballysteen/St. Senans attacks. After a couple of minutes a long range free into the box from Stephen Cahill was blasted to the net by Conor Moroney when he was quickest to react after it broke inside. William Sexton got his second point of the day to further reduce the lead. The opposition responded with a point of their own but the very talented James Ryan showed his class when he turned his man forty yards out, ran straight for goal and made no mistake slotting the ball to the corner of the net to leave just one point between the teams. Soon after the sides were level when Thomas Sexton scored a wonderful point to the cheers of the Feale Rangers supporters. This mighty effort  seem to take a lot out of the team as Ballysteen/St. Senans came back into the game and scored five unanswered points to pull ahead. Try as they may Feale Rangers could not find a way back for a second time as Padraic Walsh got the last score of the game with a well taken point to leave the final score Feale Rangers 2-07, Ballysteen/St. Senans 1-14.Team: Kieran Harnett, Dan Mullane, Jonathan Fitzgerald, Jason O’Flaherty, Dylan Griffin, Jamie Lenihan, William Mullane, Stephen Cahill(capt), Gary Vaughan, Padraic Walsh, Conor Moroney, James Ryan, Brian O’Connor, Thomas Sexton, William Sexton, Jack Denihan, Keith Murphy, Jamie O’Brien, Padraig Collins, Jason Dalton, Roger Carmody, Gavin O’Reilly & Peter O’Connor.

Athea United Soccer

Athea Utd   (0) 1      Sean Ryan
Abbeyfeale Utd A (1) 3

The 16s suffered their first loss in the league last Thursday night at The Vales when going down three one at home to Abbeyfeale Utd A. We were three down at one stage with Sean Ryan getting one back in the closing stages but the score line doesn’t give an accurate portrayal. We were every bit as good as the visitors and had two great chances to open the scoring in the first half, first James Ryan had a great effort come back off the crossbar while William Sexton was one on one with the keeper but was denied by a good save. Defensively we were solid, competitive in midfield and always a threat going forward so slightly against the run of play Abbeyfeale opened the scoring with a counter attack right on half time.
Into the second half and two minutes in it was two nil when a free kick was hoofed into our penalty area and ended in the net. The next ten to fifteen minutes the visitors got on top and had a few half chances before extending their lead to three nil. In fairness to Athea the boys regrouped and in the ten minutes bombarded the Abbeyfeale goal with their keeper making numerous top drawer saves, James Ryans angled drive somehow turned around the left post, William Sexton then having a shot from the edge of the box saved before Sean Ryan got a well deserved goal for his efforts. A disappointing result but I have to doubt that this team will be in contention come the end of the season as we are a side capable of creating chances and will never give up as was borne out last Thursday night.
Team: Timothy Tierney, Michael Ambrose, Cillian Liston, Sean Ryan, Ronan Hayes, Liam McAuliffe, JJ Sheehy, James Ryan, Shane Dalton, John Sexton, William Sexton. Sub used Andy Ahern.  Referee Jim Molyneaux.
Newcastle West A (0) 3
Athea Utd A      (0) 0

Like the previous Sunday against Rathkeale this was another game where we left at least a point after us as Newcastle West took the points on a very flattering three nil score line. West started at pace but by the tenth minute we were into the tempo of the game and were most unlucky not to take the lead when a through ball to Maurice Hayes saw the midfielder hit a fine effort that the West keeper touched onto the bar and away for a corner. At the back we were solid with left back Mathew Tierney having a blinder with fellow defenders Joe Vaughan, Padraig Reidy and Ryan Carroll keeping close tabs on the West forwards. Great play involving Gerard Ahern, Mike McCarthy and Jamie Collins resulted in the latter leaving his marker for dead and surged into the area and was most unlucky to see his shot across goal just go past the butt of the far post. Ahern again tested the keeper while we had numerous corners and free kicks but couldn’t breach the West goal. The trend continued in the second half with Collins and Tierney superb on our left flank which was our most productive avenue. However a sucked two goals in as many minutes took the sting out of our game with West adding a third with a soft goal seven minutes from time.
Surely time for a change if we are to climb away from the bottom of the table.
Team: Mike Keogh, Ryan Carroll, Mathew Tierney, Joe Vaughan, Padraig Reidy, Maurice Hayes, Gerard Ahern, Kevin O’Keeffe, Jamie Collins, Kevin Murphy, Mike McCarthy. Subs used Darren Murphy, Shane Mulvihill, John Cotter. Referee Donie O’Gorman.
Athea Utd B            (0) 0
Newcastle West B   (2) 4

Team: Tom Murphy, Michael Reidy, Sean McGrath, Padraig Horgan, Jason Quille, Colm Hassett, Eoghan Nash, Chris Hayes, Mark Horgan, Pa Chawke, Darren Murphy
Subs used Steven McEnery, Mark O’Connor, Sonny Sheehan,
Referee Paudie Manning.

The results of our weekly lottery draw held on Monday, September 9th at JP’s are as follows –
Jackpot was €10400. Numbers drawn 12, 18, 23, 31. No jackpot winner.
Lucky dips to the following – Shelia Hickey, Listowel. P Mulvihill, Blaine, Athea. A.E.J.D.S. Coole West, Athea. Pa Quinn, Upper Athea. Shelia Keane, Listowel.
Sellers Agatha & Pat Mulvihill.
New jackpot will be €10500 on Monday September 16th at The Top of the Town.